Thursday, May 20, 2010

Stereotypically me ...

So, I forgot exactly what I was going to say in response to Lauren's rant on society and stereotypes and stupid people, but I've been thinking a lot a out stereotypes and how they affect people, so I'll ramble a bit.

Stereotype is inescapable. No matter what a person does, there is always a stereotype about it. You're a writer? You must sit in Starbucks all day so people can see you writing. You're homeschooled? You must never change out of your pajamas. You're unique? Just like everyone else.

Now, I'm not saying everyone believes these stereotypes. I'm not saying these stereotypes are accurate. I'm just saying that there's always an image and an idea that precedes actually knowing any particular thing.

In my life I do my best to avoid stereotypes, and not let them affect the decisions I make or what I do. But then things like High School Musical happen (see Lauren's entry), and I'm forced to reexamine my reason for not wanting to watch it in the first place. It is partly because of the stereotype of "Teenagers will watch teen-movies." and me generally avoiding that. But it's partly because, it just didn't interest me. I'm not objecting to watching it - I'm not saying I'll never watch it. I just haven't before, and so, can't pass negative judgement. (Sure, I'll give skeptical looks, because, well, it's a teen-movie and therefore, following stereotypes, must be scoffed at.)

And so, in avoiding one stereotype I've sorta fallen into the anti-stereotpye. And THOSE are fun to bash.

Let's use Twilight as an example! (Because, you know when you say the word 'bash' that Twilight will soon follow.) We've got the fans; the hardcore Team Twilight fangirl/boys. And thats fine. Have fun with that, whatever. That's their thing.

(It's a stupid and stereotypically teenaged thing, but I digress.)

On the opposite end of the scale we've got the Anti-Twilight people. I suppose in response to the huge fanbase Twilight has generated, there's an equally large anti-fanbase. These people spend their time bashing and nitpicking and looking for any flaw Twilight has. So much focus and energy is put into hating Twilight that, quite honestly, is a waste to put into something you hate.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that by avoiding one end of the spectrum, you fall into the other. Not always, but for the most part: You. Cannot. Escape. The. Stereotypes.

No comments:

Post a Comment