Thursday, January 28, 2010

"I'd just be the catcher in the rye."

Sarah debates getting dinner, or blogging. She decides she is not hungry enough to put off blogging and so sits down on the bed and pulls up the blogger page. As she settles down, she decides that she really really likes pillows. They're a rather wonderful invention.
But not brick walls. Those are cold. She glares at the wall that had touched her shoulder. It stares blankly back.
Sarah huffs and turns back to her computer, steadily ignoring the wall to her right, she types:

So, earlier today I got a text from Taylor that read "JD SALINGER DIED" along with many sad faces. Having been oblivious to that fact until that moment, it made me horribly sad for the rest of the day.

It did, however, make me feel a little better to watch John's video for JD Salinger. It was amazingful and made me smile. "It wasn't crazy. And that's what you were for millions of us."

I spent the next hour looking up bits from Catcher in the Rye. (Which I've done before - I'm weird, in that I'll randomly look up quotes from random things. Yeah.) And decided that I really really needed to pick this book up. It's been on my 'to read' list for a long time, and it's a shame that I haven't gotten to it yet. Even just reading the small snippets that I have, I love it. I'm sure Taylor, being the wonderful nerd that she is, will lecture me on needing to read it. And maybe send me her copy. ;D

It's still amazing to me how much better you can feel after just zoning out and writing for a while. Or not even writing - I spent about an hour mostly working out details for Truths, (such as the MC's name. Yeah, kinda important.) and I just felt a lot better. Maybe it was getting that scene that's been bugging me for days out on paper. Or maybe I just miss the story and the characters.

I kind of miss the intensity of NaNo - how it made you simply write and not worry about plot problems or shallow characters. Maybe I just miss the easiness of it. Because now I AM worrying about shallow characters and plot (or lack thereof) problems. Whatever. Write through it, yeah? /headwalls

Don't have much else to report.

___

"You'll learn from them - if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry."
... Rest in peace.

~'Mallow

2 comments:

  1. I love how we both used Salinger quotes as titles. x3

    YES YOU DO NEED TO READ IT DUDE I'LL SEND YOU MY COPY LIKE TOMORROW I SWEAR.

    I mean. *cough*

    Yeah, yesterday was a sad, sad day.

    And remember, Sarah: You can't fix your plot OR shallow characters until you actually finish the story. Or. Y'know. Start it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally wasn't copying you too. xD

    OKAY I'LL TOTALLY READ IT AS SOON AS I CAN GET IT I'LL TAKE YOUR COPY IF YOU SEND IT TO ME!

    Ahem. *glances around sheepishly*

    It was indeed.

    And I DID finish it. Sorta. I think I wrote TOO MUCH of it, in fact. So, I need to rewrite and make it not suck. And have a coherent plot. (Me? Coherent? Hah.)

    ReplyDelete